Friday, 29 January 2010

Dramatic reveal!

Today I completed the project for which these rabbit buttons were intended. And I am totally happy with the result!

I bought this black coat in Japan -- it came with ordinary flat black plastic buttons and so looked very unexciting, though I liked the cut and the collar. And I kept seeing adorable Japanese print fabrics being sold at random tourist traps and wanted to buy them, even though I didn't know what I'd do with them. So I thought: why not combine the two?

I'd seen coats before with floral print cloth-covered buttons -- I think Dahlia does them? So I had an idea of what kind of colour and print I wanted. I went to a craft shop and bought a button-covering kit and some bunny print fabric and brought them home with me, and when I came home and had a free minute I did the buttons.

At the time I finished the buttons I'd sent the coat for dry-cleaning, so I was only able to sit down and sew the buttons on today. This YouTube video by Jenny T. was extremely helpful! I guess I could've figured out how to do it on my own, but I wanted to do them properly.

My main concern was that I'd sew the buttons at irregular distances so that the coat wouldn't lie properly when buttoned up, but I think it turned out OK. Thank you, Jenny T.!

I only did the bunny buttons. The buttons on the cuffs have more of a floral motif and were pre-done, as it were; I bought them separately.

What it looks like on. \o/ It's given the coat a whole new look for a minimal amount of effort, so I'm very pleased.

- Zen

No comments: